Bringing the joy of cooking to your kitchen with our fresh and flavorful recipes.
Kung Pao Chicken is a popular Chinese dish that originated in the Sichuan province of China. This spicy and flavorful dish is made with marinated chicken, peanuts, and vegetables, and is cooked in a spicy sauce made with soy sauce, vinegar, and Sichuan peppercorns. The dish is known for its unique flavor and its ability to satisfy any cravings for spicy food.
To make Kung Pao Chicken, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or sherry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into small cubes
- 3-4 dried red chili peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce, you will need:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
Here is how to make Kung Pao Chicken:
- In a mixing bowl, marinate the chicken cubes with cornstarch, soy sauce, and rice wine or sherry for 30 minutes.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the marinated chicken cubes and stir-fry until they are cooked through and golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the red and green bell peppers, dried red chili peppers, minced garlic, minced ginger, and Sichuan peppercorns (if using) to the wok. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, hoisin sauce, sugar, cornstarch, and chicken broth to make the sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables in the wok, and stir-fry until the sauce thickens and coats the ingredients evenly.
- Add the roasted peanuts and chopped green onions to the wok, and stir-fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Taste the Kung Pao Chicken and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or noodles.
Kung Pao Chicken is a delicious and easy-to-make Chinese classic that is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. The combination of spicy chicken, crunchy peanuts, and tender vegetables in a savory sauce makes for a flavorful and satisfying meal. Whether you’re a fan of spicy food or simply looking to try something new, Kung Pao Chicken is a dish that is sure to impress.