Bringing the joy of cooking to your kitchen with our fresh and flavorful recipes.
Gong Bao Shrimp, also known as Kung Pao Shrimp, is a spicy and flavorful Chinese dish that is popular both in China and around the world. This dish features succulent shrimp that are stir-fried with peanuts, vegetables, and a spicy sauce. The dish is named after Ding Baozhen, a famous governor of Sichuan province in China during the Qing Dynasty, who is said to have loved the dish.
Here is a basic recipe for making Gong Bao Shrimp:
- 1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns, toasted and ground
- 2 dried red chili peppers, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, Chinese black vinegar, Shaoxing wine, cornstarch, sugar, and ground Sichuan peppercorns. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the chopped garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the shrimp to the wok and stir-fry until they turn pink, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sliced bell peppers and chopped dried red chili peppers to the wok and continue to stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes, or until the peppers are slightly softened.
- Pour the sauce over the shrimp and vegetables and stir well to coat.
- Add the roasted peanuts and sliced green onions to the wok and stir well to combine.
- Season the dish with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the Gong Bao Shrimp hot with steamed rice.
Gong Bao Shrimp is a delicious and spicy dish that is perfect for seafood lovers who enjoy bold flavors. You can adjust the spiciness of the dish by adding more or less of the Sichuan peppercorns and dried chili peppers. So next time you are in the mood for a spicy and flavorful Chinese dish, give Gong Bao Shrimp a try!