Bringing the joy of cooking to your kitchen with our fresh and flavorful recipes.
Dumplings, or Jiaozi in Chinese, are a popular Chinese dish that has been enjoyed for centuries. They are a type of filled pasta that can be boiled, steamed, or fried and are typically served with a dipping sauce. Dumplings can be filled with a variety of ingredients, including pork, chicken, beef, shrimp, vegetables, and more. They are a versatile and comforting food that is perfect for any occasion.
Here is a simple recipe for making homemade dumplings:
For the filling:
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground pork, chopped cabbage, scallions, grated ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, sugar, salt, and black pepper. Mix well to make the filling.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and water to make the dough. Knead the dough for about 5-10 minutes, until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into small pieces, about the size of a ping-pong ball. Roll each piece into a thin, circular wrapper.
- Place a spoonful of filling in the center of each wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half and pinch the edges together to seal the dumpling.
- To cook the dumplings, you can either boil them, steam them, or fry them. To boil, bring a pot of water to a boil and add the dumplings. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until they float to the surface. To steam, place the dumplings in a steamer basket and steam for about 10-15 minutes. To fry, heat some oil in a pan and add the dumplings. Cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until they are crispy and golden brown.
- Serve the dumplings with a dipping sauce of your choice, such as soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili oil, or a combination of these. Garnish with chopped scallions, sesame seeds, or cilantro, if desired.
Your homemade dumplings are now ready to enjoy. They are a comforting and delicious Chinese delicacy that is perfect for any meal, whether it’s a quick and easy lunch, a hearty dinner, or a fun and festive gathering with family and friends.